February 2, 2008

Cookbook Anyone?

As many of you may know, I have been on the Our Mother of Sorrows 75 Anniversary Cookbook Committee for several months now. I thought this would be a good way to have some Mommy time and get to know some people in the community. We are fastly approaching crunch time and the deadline to get the final draft to the publisher! It never ceases to amaze me how people in a community - any community - can rally around a cause and pull it off 200%. The books will arrive right before Mothers Day - guess what everyone is getting ????

Yes that is right 200%. We had a goal of 300 recipes in mind for the final draft, today we are looking at close to 600!! I still can't believe it. The recipes range from semi-homade to gourmet (we have several professional chefs in the parish!) Emeril and Rachel Ray have nothing on us!!! I am lucky enough to have 12 recipes in the book, some are my own and some were passed down from my Mom and Nonnie. I mean really, were can you buy a great cookbook with 600 recipes in it for $20.00. If anyone would like to pre-order one, no money needed, just let me know.

I am the youngest member of the committee and I have to say these ladies have taught me a lot! Not just about a good group of women (and Ken) who pulled together to make this happen, but about the church and the history it has in the area. The current church (building) is going to be 75 years old, however the parish is over 100. Several of the ladies were born and raised here, as were their parents....it is truly amazing to hear how the town and parish has grown. Tuesday is the annual Pancake Supper and we are really looking forward to going.

Growing up, I went to St. Clare Catholic School from 1st to 8th grade. We had 20 kids in my class and we grew up like brothers and sisters. Not everyone got along all of the time, but what family does? Today I still keep in touch with Becky - we met in the 3rd grade - and trust me, over the past 27 years we have had some fun - you know what they say about those Catholic School Girls)!! She and I ended up going to the same high school, being in each others weddings, seeing babies born, kids growing up and having to say goodbye to loved ones as well.

This is what I hope my kids will be able to say when they are getting ready to turn 34.

Just one more reason I love my small town! (Don't get me wrong, I am envious of anyone who has a coffee shop that stays open past 5:00 p.m.)

2 comments:

n. said...

count me in for a cookbook!! sounds like it will be a good one.

Karen said...

Hi Denise- I would also love to get a cookbook- email me to get more info on how we can get together for me to pick up- maryland42003@aol.com