June 23, 2008

Helena - A Whole Handful

Tomorrow is the big day! Helena will be a whole handful - the big 5!

As her and I were making zucchini (from our garden) bread tonight it hit me pretty hard that my little girl is growing up - really fast. It doesn't seem like that long ago I was preparing my bag for the hospital, waiting to go get the amnio done to see if she was doing OK to deliver, when Dr. Luecke said "No Donna, she needs the "other" packet of paperwork. This baby is coming today, there is not enough fluid to tap for an amnio!" OK - I was about to become a Mom. It only took from 9 am to 11:46 pm to become a Mom, but that is another story!

The day after she was born, Pop Stanley said "Helena, she is going to be Hell on Wheels!" and I think she heard him loud and clear. She would not nurse or gain weight and at 6 weeks had pyloric stonosis surgery (you know the one that happens in first born males??)

I love her for so many reasons - she is strong willed and knows what she wants, she can delegate a group in a minute (one Mom told me she is going to be President on day!). She is the true meaning of a Tom Boy, one minute she is dressed like a princess, the next she is doing worm races at camp with a flower in her hair. She doesn't mind when her brothers wake her up every morning by jumping on her bed, poking her in the forehead or cuddling up under the covers with her. She likes ballet, tap and soccer. Her favorite princess is Mulan, the little Chinese girl who kicked the Huns a** in war, not Cinderella the gentle girl who befriends mice and wore a glass slipper. She loves shoes, any kind and has no fashion sense what ever, but loves to dress herself. She loves her brothers just as much as I love mine. She is my shadow in the kitchen and in the garden. She hates to clean up after a mess, but loves getting messy. She loves to sing and play with her brothers, and teach them new things (walking up the slide counts, right?). She loves to "read", especially in bed and sleeps with books under her pillow. She can always make me feel better when I have a bad day, especially when she tells me I am her best Mommy. She is 100% Daddy's girl. She likes to break the House Rules, but will enforce on others in a minute. She loves her family, immediate and extended and has more cousins than she can count. I could go on, but there are just so many to list......

She pushes my buttons to no end sometimes, I think that is because we are so much alike at times and so different at others. I love her with all of my heart!!

This Saturday was her birthday party(s). From 10am to 12:30 we had 15 of her cousins and friends come over for a Scales and Tales presentation. The big (Jason and Uncle Brian) kids and little kids all loved it and sat at attention for the full 40 minutes. The rangers gave a great talk and really spoke to the kids (5-11) as well as adults. Totally wort the money! After that we had cake, ice-cream and some really nice presents. Helena's teacher Mrs. Chance and her youngest son even stopped by (at Helena's request) for the party.

Uncle Dan, Aunt Melissa, Victoria and Emily gave Helena exactly what she asked them for 2 months ago - a bunny. Buttercup is chocolate brown and just the sweetest thing. Uncle Dan even built her a hutch for the cooler weather. Right now she is sleeping in Helena's room.

At 2:30 we had the family over for party #2. We enjoyed fried chicken and steamed crabs (local is the best!!) We sang again and did round 2 of presents. Helena got quite a bit of spending money for our trip to Alaska later this week, plus some dress up clothes, Barbies, Hannah Montana dress up, doll and clothes. It was all a very nice day. Splitting up the day gave Helena (Mommy and Daddy) a chance to unwind and spend time with everyone.

1 comment:

n. said...

happy birthday helena!!