June 8, 2010

Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?

I found a book several summers back that was called "Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?" It was written by a mom in response to that very question asked by her daughter one summer day. This book is one of my favorites because it is about a little blond tomboy princess, who wears a daisy chain crown, flower skirts and hiking boots while looking for frogs.....sound familiar to anyone? This book is my Helena!

She will be 7 this month.....7! Where did the last 7 years go? She has grown up to be a sassy, smart, adorable little girl who I could not imagine life without. She is strong willed and definitely has her own opinions about how things should be done. She is a great big sister, bossy most of the time, but what big sister is not? (I think it is a privilege of status personally, right Uncle Dan!)

This year, on the first day of 1st grade, she was telling a story about the surfers we saw at the beach the previous weekend and when the kids at the table did not understand, she proceeded to give a demo and chair surf (during a lesson)! Needless to say, Ms. Sherwood, the student teacher. had a story about her first day like no one else in her class.....I think she may remember the little surfer girl for many years to come!

She was a cheerleader for the UQA Lions in the fall and did very well. It was fun to see her challenge herself and grow.

She has done so well in school that she is reading on a 3rd grade level at the end of 1st grade. So many nights I find her reading by the hall light or sneaking a book under her pillow. How do you argue with that? All of her report cards have been fantastic, better each quarter. However, she gets herself in trouble almost several times a week for talking....usually for giving directions to another student who has not done their work properly!

She still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy....I want to keep that as long as I can! She still has the innocence of childhood that I never want her to loose, although I know she will. She loves her brothers unconditionally, like only a sister can. She tells me she loves me whenever I leave the house, she is a Daddy's girl and although she makes me crazy at times.....I love her with all of my heart! She is my 586 shot baby after all!

No comments: