March 12, 2008

Who Defines Work?

What exactly does it mean when someone (total stranger) sees you with your 4 kids (under 5) and asks you "Do you work?" or says "You don't work, do you?"!?!?!? UMMMM...what exactly do you define as work? Do I leave the house everyday and get in my minivan to go to an office and get a paycheck at the end of the week? NO! Do I get up everyday and clock in as soon as somebody wakes up? YES! Do I get a good breakfast on the table, everyone dressed, Helena ready for school, homework done, playtime in, lunch on the table by 11:00 before the bus at noon, triplets down for nap, laundry done and folded, dinner started, snack after nap, playtime in/songs and music, make necessary calls and appointments, etc., etc., etc. done - YES - I do WORK - (the nanny has the day off)!!!

Do they really want me to go into my mantra of the top 10 things not to say to a Stay at Home Mom of 4? If people would just think about what they say we (stay at home MoMS) would not have the following list!!!

My favorites, in no particular order:

- Are they all yours? (No picked one up in the produce department, buy 3 get 1 free!)
- Did you use fertility? (And do I know you?)
- Was it expensive? (Again, do I know you?)
- Are they triplets? (No, I just got a deal on the same outfit, so I went with it!)
- Do you work? (Don't even get me started!!!)
- Better you than me (apparently God thought so too!)
- How do you do it, I can barely handle 1! (New Mom, so I give her some slack!)
- How do you afford it? ( Once Again, Do I know you?)
- You must have been huge - (looking at my belly the entire sentence!)
- You poor thing, I feel sorry for you? (What, What did you just say to me? I am blessed with
4 children - and one angel! Thank you very much!)

OK - now I feel better!! Venting is good!!!

3 comments:

n. said...

i love the ones who ask me if they are twins and then dont believe me when i say yes.

there there are the ones who say "my, my you have your hands full" now i just sweetly respond "better full than empty!"

Pam said...

Great job!!!!!You go girl!

Anonymous said...

I always love it when they look at Ava and Cole (dressed in pink and blue) and proceed to ask me if they are identical. I mean, really? Then there's always the old standby- "You aren't having any more are you?" I'm sorry, I didn't realize that perfect strangers made my reproductive decisions for me. I thought that only happened in China!