June 12, 2009

Gymnastics Diva with a Capital D

When we enrolled Helena is gymnastics 3 years ago we did not do it with the intention of her becoming the next Mary Lou Retton, however she has actually showed some real potential over the last 3 years. Before we moved, she was on the "mini team" at Docksiders and was doing quite well considering she was the youngest of the group!

Now we go to Island Gymnastics on KI. It is much smaller, but it is only her and one other little girl (who is 8) in her class, so the one on one allows for little downtime in between instruction.

Wednesday night was her end of year show and I have to say she brought tears to my eyes....my baby did a routine on the full size balance beam, no help, no fall! She just got up there like she owned it and did her thing!!!!

She was really nervous about memorizing the routine because they handed it out written on a piece of paper. The teacher asked the girls if they could read and of course she said YES, because she can.....just not words like "hitch kick" and "dismount" into a tuck. So Daddy and I practiced with her on the railroad ties around the playground. She even did her forward roll out there (which she did with very, very little spotting at the show)!

I have it recorded along with her trampoline and vault jumps (as soon as I find my camera cable I will post pics too)...she is Fearless when it comes to this and gives it all she has.....except when she has to wait in line with 17 girls for her turn to do her floor routine...then she is laying on the mat, kicking her feet in the air, doing what looks like pilates and making faces at me because I am telepathically threatening her for acting like a nut!

I love her to death and would expect no less from a daughter of mine....attitude and all!
(Someone once told me I was the over achiever of the group growing up...mmmmmmmmmmm?)

No comments: