July 9, 2008

Alaska Day 5 and 6 - All Around Town

It is hard to believe that I am still on AK time - come on people at 2am I am still wide awake.....when will the madness end??

None the less here is a quick recap of Day 5 and 6 of our trek up north....

Day 5 - After waking up and getting everyone ready to go to the Dog Sled Show - we make a pit stop at the Alaska Fur Exchange where low and behold I found them, yes there they were just waiting for me to buy (because remember this is the only thing, with the exception of Big Louie's homemade salsa, that my husband asked me to bring him back) a 4 foot tall stack of Moose Antlers, which sat next to the kitchen table size pile of Caribou horns!! I was very excited that I did not have to go into the woods and track them myself. Did you know that when you pay for them, you buy them by the pound?? Yes, by the pound but I didn't waver because, bless his heart this trip was his idea to begin with, and although there was some grief here and there, he deserved them.

So as I make my $228.00 purchase ($214.00 for the antlers, $14.00 for my ivory earrings) I felt successful - my main mission was complete!!

Off to the show we go! The setup of the show was not fantastic by any means, but the people and information were wonderful. The first person you meet has run and finished the Iditarod 4 times, the next young lady is not yet 18 so she cannot run the race yet - however she had won several Jr. competitions and finally you meet Dallas Seave - his dad won in 2004 and he is the youngest person to ever finish the race at 18. After the show you could meet some of the dogs and hold several of the puppies. The kids really enjoyed their day.

Afterwards we went back to the house and got everyone ready to go over Aunt Jackies for dinner and a showing of "Camp Rock". The girls were very excited and so were P. and I because we got to have dinner at The Lucky Wish Bone -(think small town place Rachel Ray would go on one of her shows). It was the best - homemade onion rings, great burgers, etc. Then we went shopping downtown and I got some great handmade gifts for everyone.

Day 6 - We headed to the zoo and to the Imaginarium (think Port Discovery). Both places were fun, especially for the kids who could touch anything and everything they wanted. We headed to the Golden Arches for lunch in between and DQ afterwards. I love DQ! When we got home Georgia had grilled some burgers and we had dinner, and crashed (after blogging, a game of cards and doing some laundry)!

I have to say - here is where I get mushy - I really do miss P. It was great to see her and typically she is on a 12 hour time difference so calls are sometimes hard. She is the best Mom - hello people she traveled from Malaysia, had to get on 3 planes and flew for almost 24 hours with 3 kids?!?!) She pretty much ROCKS in my book! L. will be here this weekend - I know he misses them so much! It will be nice for all of them to have some family time at home, one of their US homes that is.

P. - thanks again for letting us crash your vacation - we truly enjoyed the experience and loved every minute of it. We will have to do it again in another 10 months.
G. and Big L. - without you guys this vacation would not have been as much fun as it was. Your hospitality and generosity was tremendous and we will forever be thankful for the memories you helped us create.
B - I will never forget how you crushed me at cards - I will have to practice and call for a rematch some day!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the antlers will be arriving around the 15th of this months, and the shipping cost more then the purchase price! But I guarantee you that we are probly the only house on the Shore that will have a pair hanging in their living room!

No comments: