July 23, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow??

While I was growing up, my Grandfather always had a vegetable garden. When I was little I was in charge of the parsley bed and every Friday I would collect some to take to my Great Grandmother in Canton.

Every spring he would start his seeds and let them grow on the front porch until they were ready for planting. After planting, I loved to watch the garden grow and help him pick tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and squash.

Now I have my own garden to watch grow and this year we have doubled the size, for several reasons. 1 - Do you know how much 4 kids can eat?? 2- I use it as therapy!! I never mind planting, weeding, harvesting. This year we had some pumpkin seeds (from our composted soil) take root - that was a nice surprise. Best of all we have had a great yield.....over 20 zucchini, 15 squash, cucumbers, carrots, cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew, green peppers, broccoli, pumpkins, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, basil and of course parsley. We only lost our chives and green beans (Jason tilled them under thinking they were weeds).

Helena loves to help me pick the vegetables, especially the strawberries which hardly ever make it to the house!! There is something gratifying about making a salad with the vegetables you picked fresh that afternoon, I can't fully explain it. Some of the pumpkins are almost ready, so pies are on their way. Zucchini - let me count the ways....you would be surprised. Tomatoes and peppers - homemade spaghetti sauce, tomato sandwiches.

I am already thinking of what we can do next year to improve our garden - I know we will expand it one more time - have you seen the way my boys eat??? - and add a few more varieties. Plus, I want to add some raspberry bushes and fruit trees.

I hope my kids grow up with the same appreciation I have for "watching my garden grow"?

No comments: