July 29, 2008

Peach Pickin'

This weekend was a disaster - all 4 of the kids got colds and of course Parker and Preston escalated to nebs by Saturday night. It is amazing what a normal cold can do to them!! Helena and Peyton - just colds. So after several days of nebbing, potentially cancelling our trip to the orchard with friends and proactively cancelling Angie spending a few days with us (Helena was mad!!!!!!!!!!!) because she is going on vacation this weekend............we woke up sounding like normal 2 year olds!

Yeah! Summer Sunshine here we come!! I could not wait to get out of the house and get them some fresh air.....not to mention getting some pent up energy out! So off to the orchard I went - 4 kids in tow (with no morning coffee because I hit snooze on the alarm). After 4 poopie diapers, yes 4, getting everyone dressed, lunch packed because I was tooo lazy to do it last night and packing up the van - we were off with 15 minutes to spare. This orchard - Godfrey's Farm - is a local place were I do almost all of my vegetable shopping for the week. Lisa, the owner, is also a MOM of twin girls and a super sweet woman!

We had 10 families from my MOMs club participate and it was so much fun to see how excited all of the kids got when they found "the perfect peach"! Helena was so funny, as soon as she saw Kenzie there (she is the only girl in her set of 2 year old triplets), she was done with me and off to help her girlfriend! Helena did a great job picking a 1/2 bushel of awesome looking peaches for me. Me and the boys hung out by the edge of the orchard (monkey backpacks and all) and collectively we picked a peck! They liked throwing the peaches they found on the ground at Ms. Lisa, the funny thing is she would throw it back - her farm she makes the rules right!!

After picking we headed to the park for some lunch and playtime.....they had a blast playing with a bunch of kids just like them. Leaving the park was not so easy, but hanging out with a group of friends who don't even blink at a tantrum is awesome! No one looks at you like you are going to put your kid in therapy for the rest of their lives!!

Helena, the boys and I had a really nice day that led to a nap for everyone but me. Trust me it did not go perfectly by some standards, but by mine it was pretty darn great! I love to create new traditions with the kids so we can make a point of doing it every year. Our large group of plenty had a great time and it is fun to spend time with my friends and their families. I am hoping to find a local orchard that grows apples so we can keep up our Pick Your Own tradition for our family and extended family.

No comments: