July 20, 2008

Summertime, Sweet Summertime

Summertime, Sweet Summertime.....what is it all about?

Perfect song on the radio
Sing along, 'cause it's what we know
It's a smile, It's a kiss
It's a sip of wine, It's summertime
Sweet Summertime

Remember when those lyrics spoke to us in a way that we totally understood because it was the life we were living! Now our lives have changed and Sweet Summertime has some new meanings (but that doesn't mean we have to give up the old ones or the memories of those days gone by!!).

The past few weeks since I have been back from AK have been a lot of fun, busy, but fun. Here are a few things that have made my summertime sweet.......

- the triplets have gone through another rite of passage - Fla-vor-ice pops! They love them - now I am not the biggest fan of giving the boys 100% sugar as a snack, but come on it's a kid thing!! Helena has taught them proper ice pop eating procedure, plus they even share and trade if they like the other ones flavor.

-going to the beach - Today we day tripped it to the beach for some fun in the sand, wave jumping and pony sightings. The kids did great!! Helena and Parker love to get in the water - Parker is a little dare-devil who loves to "jump waves". Preston likes to chase the waves back and forth while playing in the wet sand. Peyton for the first part of the day just wanted to be held while I stood in the water, but by the end of the day Jason had him chasing waves (with a pretzel bag in his hand, that by the way, did not get dropped even when he got smacked in the face by a little wave. That boy takes his snacking very seriously!!).

- pizza at Dough Roller - Why, I am not sure, but I love their pizza. I think it is because we can usually get through a dinner there with little to no issues and lots of eating in a reasonable amount of time. Plus what screams summer at the beach, besides Thrashers, Dumsers, Jessica's Fudge, etc.....you can tell where this is going!

- sitting on the deck watching the kids in the Kiddie Pool - Saturday we stayed at home and finished up the weekly "chores" - laundry, cleaning, grass mowing, etc. But after lunch the kids got in the little pool and just had a blast. There was a nice breeze blowing and the 4 of them were having a great time, which meant me and Jason were having a great time watching some harmony!

- GNO at the Rams Head - how great is it that we can declare a GNO and call it a date (because my husband, unlike some others I know, will make a point to be home on time so I can have a night off!)! I had a lot of fun at dinner and it was nice to get to know some new MOMs in our club a little better. Plus the food and drink was great....Lynchburg Lemon-aid anyone?

- Helena - before you know it, school will be back in session and we will not have so much time together baking, doing crafts, playing with the brothers in the moon bounce, etc. That little MISS can push my buttons to no end, she knows what she wants and will debate and negotiate until she gets it, but I secretly love that about her!! Don't get me wrong, she tries to wear me down and sometimes wins, but later in life that will be a great trait to have developed (for when she becomes President of the United States).

- going to the zoo - this could be a post all on its own, but I will give the concise version. Tuesday of last week I called Lauri to see if she wanted to go to the Maryland Zoo with us. She has boy twins the same age as the boys and a 4 yr old son, our kids have played together before and get along well. 6:15 that morning, my friend Beth calls in a panic, her sitter is sick and she just started a new job, can I watch Natalie - sure - what's one more!! I have already had the forethought to call my cousin Angie to help me out for the day and she has graciously agreed for the adventure.

At 10:30 am (2) adults, (1) teenager, (1) 4 year old, (2) 5 year old and (5) 2 year olds enter the zoo!! I have to say - we had a great day - we saw the new baby elephant Samson, then headed to do the "Maryland" side of the zoo. The boys, all 6 of them, loved the ducks so much I think we spent 15-20 minutes just looking at them. The otters were being fed, so that was a treat, they went thought the bat cave and saw the working farm animals.

By 1:15 my guys started to melt down, so after lunch we headed out (Parker showing how well his lungs work!!). Overall it was a nice day out with friends, the beauty of traveling with another MOM is that you go into it with realistic expectations of what a successful day really is with 11 people, 8 of them under 5!!

We decided our next trek is to the Washington Zoo, so watch out, we could be calling you to help chaperon this one!!!

I hope your Summertime is sweet and you are making lasting memories as well............

1 comment:

n. said...

you know, flavor-ice has food coloring too - so its not *all* sugar. glad you are enjoying the summer! let me know when you are heading to the national zoo, i am in!